Thursday, 24 November 2016

Blue and white

My mum has always been a big fan of blue and white china, and I've always been partial to this colour combination in quilts. It makes me think of blue skies and fluffy white clouds. A couple of years ago, I received a Sizzix Big Shot for my birthday and I decided to use just one shape (the 4 inch half square triangle) to make a quilt. I dug through my stash for blue and white fabrics. There were plenty as a few years earlier I had made a Storm at Sea quilt for my sister and I had plenty of leftovers.

Cutting the pieces with the Sizzix was a breeze - I had all the pieces cut within an hour!
(Note to self: I should use it more often).


I cut equal quantities of blue prints and light prints, and then sewed them together in pairs.

With a stack of squares all sewn, I experimented with several layouts, quickly settling on this one...


Next up was the quilting. I quilted on the longarm, forgoing stitching in the ditch and just freehand quilting a ribbon candy design in the lighter portions of the quilt with a variegated blue thread.


And here's the finished quilt...


Kitten approved before I sent it off to Siblings Together for their annual quilt drive.


No comments: