Monday, 26 October 2015

Mini rainbow New York Beauty quilt - 2nd entry in Bloggers' Quilt Festival

My second entry for this autumn's Bloggers' Quilt Festival is my variation on a New York Beauty mini quilt. I am entering it into the "Mini Quilt" category. To be honest, 2015 has been the year of the mini quilt so it seems appropriate to be entering a quilt in this category.

I made this mini quilt for the Sew My Stash mini quilt swap that finished earlier this month. My initial plan was a rainbow New York Beauty variation made of 9 blocks arranged diagonally across the quilt.

My initial sketch

After making a test block, I realised I didn't have enough rainbow coloured fabrics to do my vision justice, so I decided on an alternative arrangement of 4 blocks with a little more variety in the pieced arcs. At this point I was considering a pieced background of various black-on-white and white-on-black prints.

My initial fabric pull and updated plan

By the time I started piecing I had decided to use plainer black and white background fabrics to let the rainbow scraps really stand out. Here are the first four arcs pieced on foundation papers.

First four arcs pieced

 I added a bit more complexity with another 2 pieced arcs...

All components pieced and ready to sew together

Once the top was finished, I stopped for a couple of days to consider my options. My original plan had been to quilt the white background areas in white and the black areas in black. However, I had recently finished another mini quilt where I had used matching threads for complex quilting, and had been a bit disappointed that all the quilting was pretty much invisible on the front of the quilt. So, I bit the bullet and went for grey thread that would show up on both black and white background fabrics. It was a bit nerve wracking and a bit exhilarating, but I'm glad that I went for it. I stitched in the ditch around the points, and then free motion quilted in concentric circles using my domestic sewing machine.

A little bit nerve wracking and a little bit exhilarating!

I used the same black fabric for the binding and then sent it off to its new owner in Canada.

the finished quilt

And here's the mini quilt that came to live with me. I love it! Bright colours and plenty of kitties - what's not to love?!



14 comments:

Kamila @ Work-With-Patches said...

Beautiful rainbow mini quilt with very nice quilting :)
Greetings from Poland
Kamila

Johanna said...

What a gorgeous rainbow New York Beauty!

Tish Stemple said...

I bet your swap partner absolutely loved it! The black and white background really allows those bright colors to shine and the quilting is just perfect. I think you were right using a thread that would allow the quilting to stand out instead of blend in. Your quilting really brought it to life. Great job.

Quilty said...

Beautiful! Great colors, vivid with black, perfect!

Hanna El Tairy said...

great great job!!!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

That's great - colourful, but monochromatic too. Complex, but simple too. It's got everything - what a great mini.

Renee said...

Love this quilt! Beautiful quilting too!

PatSloan said...

Gorgeous!

dutchcomfort said...

Love your version of the New York Beauty mini-quilt! The quilting works so well too!

Jart's said...

It's such a beautiful quilt!

tubakk said...

You made a beautiful NYB quilt. I've voted for you!

Camilla said...

Beautiful little mini NYB!

Clare said...

Hello,
I stumbled across your beautiful Birdie's Quilt. What caught my eye was the fabric which is By MoMo of Moda. I have a ton of the fabric because it's one of my very favorites. But as I looked closer I really liked the pattern!! And naturally I love your quilting!! I have a long arm but don't have a business. Do you happaen to know what pattern this is?

Thanks!
Clare

Unknown said...

I love this gorgeous mini quilt! Would you mind sharing a link to the pattern? I've searched and found several patterns, but not quite the same as this one.

Thanks,

Lynn