Saturday, 24 October 2015

Coronet - my blogger's quilt festival entry

My first entry for this autumn's Bloggers' Quilt Festival is my original mini quilt "Coronet". I am entering it into the "Quilting on a Domestic Machine" category.

finished mini quilt

It all started when I visited the dentist and noticed the brickwork above the front door of the surgery. Some of the bricks were shaped like pyramids and I noticed how it would be possible to create the illusion of 3D pyramids by using 1/4 square triangles in graduated shades of colour.

The idea languished in my sketch book for a while, until I was trying to decide on something to make as a secret sewer gift for a retreat I was about to attend. Using some ombre fabrics from my stash I made a selection of pyramid blocks, and then auditioned various background fabrics.

auditioning the blocks on dark grey fabric
In the end, I chose a fabric with a beautiful silvery sheen for the background, and arranged the blocks in a rainbow ordered circle, being careful to orientate the pyramid blocks to look as though light is coming from above.

the quilt top

Then came the quilting. I used two layers of Warm and Natural cotton wadding to make the quilting really stand out, and used a walking foot to quilt a few concentric circles, and to outline the pyramid blocks. After that, I switched to a darning foot and added a different free-motion quilting pattern within each circle leaving the pyramids unquilted.

free motion quilting in progress
 I think my favourite part of the quilting is the circle that looks a little like a mandala.


I finished the binding minutes before gifting the quilt to my secret sewer partner. There's nothing like working to a deadline, is there?

done, with minutes to spare - phew!

19 comments:

Quilty said...

Wow, beautiful, love it!!
Great to see others bloggers' quilt from Blogger's Quilt Festival!

Joanna Soloch said...

Bellissimo, complimenti :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful quilting, I especially love your center medallion.

Sally Hurley said...

That is a cute quilt. I love the quilting - I'm totally impressed with it!

the zen quilter said...

Wow, the quilting on this piece is fabulous. It's hard to look at all that blank space, isn't it? Scary, but you did a fantastic job.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very neat!!!!

Jessie said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!! I love how the pyramids look three dimensional based purely on color arrangement. And the shimmery quality of the background fabric takes it to a whole new level of luxury! Love it!

Kate said...

Wow! Beautifully done! The quilting is gorgeous!

Jenny Ladbrooke said...

The quilting is amazing and perfectly fits the design. I agree all that negative space would have unnerved me but the sheen to the background fabric adds to the effect beautifully. Love the tip about doubling up wadding

Tina Craig said...

This is so lovely. I love the sheen of the background fabric. And the quilting is stunning!

Shannon said...

This is so pretty! Your quilting complements the piecing design so well. Thanks for sharing!

patchworkowy said...

I love it,beautiful!!

Kamila @ Work-With-Patches said...

It's a beautiful mini quilt! How wonderful quilting can change simply pattern.
Greeting from Poland
Kamila

Renee said...

The quilting really pulls this quilt together, it is gorgeous!

ipatchandquilt said...

Your quilts very original and creative! I love the combination of the colors and the quilting!
Well done!!!
Esther

Jart's said...

Such a lovely work:)

greeneggs said...

This is a perfect little quilt. All the elements work so beautifully together. Just lovely. Thanks for sharing it in the bloggers quilt festival.

a maidenhair fern said...

very cool. beautifully done.

Lisa said...

Congratulations! Beautiful quilt!