Thursday, 2 July 2015

Before and after

It's been a long time since I posted anything about our house renovation. We don't tend to move very quickly with renovating - taking our time to come to a decision that we will both love (no easy feat) and then tracking down all the bits we need.

Let me remind you what our spare bedroom looked like the day we moved into our house. "Amazing" 60s/70s carpet, floral wallpaper and two-tone green painted wood-chip walls that looked a bit like mould.

before - eek! - the day we moved in
Once the carpet was up and the wallpaper gone, we realised that the plaster needed to be replaced. We went back to the bare brick, and to our surprise found a bricked up doorway that had once led through to next door!

discovering a secret doorway

We had the room replastered, replaced the skirting boards and window architrave, and then we painted the walls a pretty duck egg blue (Mr Q took a lot of convincing about this colour).


The next job was to have a quieter carpet fitted, and move the furniture in. A super-comfy bed from Ikea, a fantastic antique pine wardrobe I found on eBay and a wicker chair that I've owned for more than 20 years (I originally carried it home from Habitat on Tottenham Court Road in London on the Northern Line of the Underground - when people looked at me like I was mad I explained that it was often hard to get a seat on the Tube).


The painting is by David Goodwin. I bought it at the Manchester Craft and Design Centre with some birthday money. It's something else that I brought home by public transport. The Orla Kiely bedlinen was a steal at TKMaxx, and I made the curtains and cushion covers.


I have a selection of objects that I love on top of the chest of drawers... a lino print by Shelagh Dwyer, a wooden bird sculpture by Michael Griffin, a tiny metal house and tree sculpture, and a ceramic bird dish from PrinceDesignUK.


 There are still a couple of finishing touches to go - some shades for the bedside lamps and a hook on the back of the door - but I am delighted with how this room has come together. Perhaps we should move in while we think about renovating another part of the house.

after - a study in tranquility

No comments: