Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Magic Maze

A couple of years ago, my mum gave me a quilting calendar for Christmas. Before the new year arrived, I had already put together a quilt top using one of the patterns - Magic Maze by Amy Ellis.


It took me a long while to decide how to quilt it. I wanted something that wouldn't detract from the simplicity of the quilt design, but that also challenged my quilting skills.  I sketched a number of different quilting schemes...


...and finally settled on this...


The peacock feathers in the red squares are inspired by similar designs that Angela Walters of Quilting is my Therapy uses. The design in the grey squares came from Sue Patten's book Freehand Filler Designs. I then filled in the floral rectangles with a swirly ferny, feathery sort of design. It was an interesting challenge to choose designs that were distinct from each other but had enough similar elements that they all looked good together. I think it worked.



1 comment:

HillyFilly said...

Beautiful quilting Charlo... totally impressed.... :-)