Friday, 13 March 2015

Building Blocks

I've been busy sewing up more quilt blocks this week. First up my February blocks for the Siblings Together Bee. We were asked for 10" string blocks in bright colours with white running diagonally through the centre.


Next up my March blocks for the same bee. We were asked for 10" square blocks inspired by nautical flags in shades of red, blue, orange, aqua and white. I made mine 10.5 inches by mistake, but they shouldn't be too difficult to trim down.


There was a request from Mary on the Siblings Together flickr group page for some Home Sweet Home blocks in blues, greens, greys and black to make quilts suitable for teenage boys. I made 11 blocks...


...and some scrappy bindings to finish two quilts. This was my first experience of making a scrappy binding, and I'm happy with how it turned out.


Then I read on instagram that Joanne was looking for 9" churn dash blocks in sorbet shades of yellow, pink, lilac and teal to make a quilt or two for girls attending the Siblings Together summer camps. I started with one block...


...which quickly turned into seven...


I've got a few more blocks to finish up over the weekend. More on that in a later post. My little cat, Coco, has been joining me in my sewing room lately. She inspects what I am up to and generally keeps me company. Her fur is starting to grow back after all the tests she had at the vet hospital a couple of weeks ago, but there's no getting away from the fact that she looks a bit like a poodle at the moment!


The vets are still not 100% sure what is wrong with her, so she'll be going back for more tests in a week. In the meantime, I am happy that she seems to share my love of quilting and crochet!




No comments: