Thursday, 21 November 2013

RIP Mr George

A few days after Mr Q and I got married, we went to the Freshfields Animal Centre north of Liverpool to find a couple of new additions for our family. We came away with Bonnie and Mr George - two beautiful black and white cats. For the last seven years, the four of us have lived together happily with plenty of love, laughter and quite a bit of attitude.

Sadly on Sunday evening, Mr George was taken very poorly and had to be rushed to the vet (luckily less than a 10 minute walk from our house). Although he seemed to improve a little on Monday morning, his heart was too weak to make it through the rest of the day and he passed away in the afternoon. Despite regular checkups, we had no idea that Georgie had a heart condition. It seems he was very like my father - able to hide it until it was too late :-(

Georgie was about 12 years old, but acted a lot younger. He had a huge range of meows and chirrups, and a habit of waking us up in the middle of the night for a cuddle. He was always around when fabric was around, and spent many hours "helping" in my sewing room - he was particularly good at arranging blocks for a quilt or testing a newly knitted garment for comfort. He would meet me on my way home from work everyday, sitting patiently under the hedge for me to arrive. He followed me around the house, trotting along with his tail in the air, and giving me furry headbutts at every opportunity. All this from a cat who wouldn't tolerate being picked up and fussed when we first met him.









You will leave a large cat-shaped hole in our lives, Georgie boy. We will miss you immeasurably.

6 comments:

umi n tsuru said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you find some comfort. What beautiful photos of Mr George.

SewLittleToSay said...

Farewell little furry helper. I'm sure news of the cat shaped hole will be spreading in the feline community.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Very sorry about your loss. You provided him with a wonderful home, with lots of love - and fun sewing adventures! I enjoyed seeing his antics.

Jane S. said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. George. Such a character! I love cats that make those conversational sounds and are constant companions. What a bittersweet time for you now, missing him so much but having good memories, too.

Hugs to you.

Maureen said...

I have been remiss in keeping up with your blog, and so I have only just read this sad news. It's awful when you lose a beloved pet - a family member - I can't cope with it anymore, so I made the decision seven years ago now, that I would have no more animals in my life.
Poor Mr George - still, twelve years was a reasonable lifespan for him to enjoy.And you must have lots of happy memories of him to share.

Quiltification said...

Thank you all for your supportive comments - so very much appreciated.