Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Somewhere over the rainbow

Before my new sewing machine appeared on the scene, I started putting this quilt top together. I really like chevron quilts, but wanted the look without the triangles, so drafted a simple pattern that used rectangles set on point instead. Simples. I also sized the blocks to efficiently use strips cut the width of the fabric. No waste. 
how simple are these blocks?
All the fabric in the rainbow array came from the remnant bins at Abakhan in Liverpool. It is possible that I stalk that place - spending (too) many lunch hours delving through their fabrics by the kilo to find the hidden treasures. I used 1/4 metre cuts of each colour along with 2 metres of background - that's a whole quilt top for around £20!

As usual, Mr George was VERY helpful in assisting with block arrangement. I don't know how I would manage without him.


I stitched the blocks using my Lily sewing machine in its last act before trade-in. The rows were sewn on my 25 year old machine, and I finally sewed the whole quilt top together on my brand spanking new, super-dooper machine. Three machines to make one quilt top - thank goodness for 1/4 inch presser foot which made the seam allowances just right on all three.


 That's another top to add to the growing pile that I need to quilt.

No comments: