I spent much of Sunday afternoon researching suitable machines and measuring up to check that whatever I picked would fit comfortably in my sewing machine cabinet. On Monday, I took the afternoon off work and headed up to Hobkirks in Blackburn with my trusty Lily in the boot of the car. A couple of hours of sewing machine test driving later, I'd traded in the Lily and bought a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875Q.
The machine was delivered on Tuesday afternoon, but I had to wait until I'd finished working before I could get inside the interesting looking box.
Bonnie waited patiently...
Finally, I finished work, and was able to set up my amazing new machine. The biggest differences are the huge amount of space to the right of the needle which will make it much easier to deal with quilts and other bulky items like curtains, and the fact that it has no presser foot lever which is taking a bit of getting used to.
|first seam on the new machine|
It also has more fancy stitches than you can shake a stick at. Some of them will be really useful - several buttonholes for different fabrics; a range of stitches that will be great for crazy quilting, and three alphabets that will be fantastic for creating quilt labels.
|first bit of fancy sewing|
One of the advantages of buying a Husqvarna Viking machine is that the specialist presser feet that I have collected over the years will fit this machine too. So, the next thing I tried was attaching the darning foot, dropping the feed dogs, and seeing how the automatic tension adjustment would cope with a little free motion quilting. I've got to tell you, I was impressed. The tension was perfect top and bottom.
I'm really looking forward to exploring everything this little beauty can do.