Tuesday, 1 January 2013

I've started so I'll finish

In the immortal words of Mastermind, "I've started so I'll finish". That is going to be my new motto for 2013. Mr Q will be pleased, perhaps even relieved. He's been trying to get me to finish more projects ever since we met.

At the start of 2012, I challenged myself to finish 12 quilts before the end of the year. I didn't make that target (finished 6 by the summer, quilted 4 for Siblings Together, and then petered out once the academic year started) but it did help keep me focussed. And I managed to make a few pieces of clothing, knit a couple of hats, and sew these cuties too...

owl cushion designed by Ashley Johnston at We All Sew
small cat cushion designed by Eva Hasunova in Stitch magazine

I'm going to try the same trick again this year, only this time I have a secret weapon - my newly tidy sewing room. I find it very hard to settle in a cluttered environment so I have spent the last day of 2012 cleaning and organising with a view to helping productivity. I'm also hoping that 2013 is the year that this room gets painted.



Each of the plastic boxes (thank you, Lidl) contains the components of a single project, so I can pick a box up and get on with some sewing, without the excuse that I'm missing a key fabric or a vital template. The quilt on the wall in the picture above is a kaleidoscope pattern that I call "Red Lights, Blue Movies". I have a thing for vintage tins - you can see some of them in the photo below. They're full of zips, buttons and other bits of haberdashery.


I love this printer's tray that Mum gave me to store my threads, and the jam jars full of vintage buttons and buckles, safety pins and ribbons.


Another vintage delight - the Sylko drawers hold sewing machine needles, screw drivers, feet and so on. The keep calm sign was a gift from my sister and the radio is my pride and joy. It was a birthday gift from Mr Q and allows us to listen to radio all over the world, so we can listen to the Brisbane morning traffic reports whenever Mr Q feels homesick!




3 comments:

Mr Q said...

I'll be counting...

Michelle said...

Your craft space is beautiful even without the new paint. I think 6 quilts in one year and being a paleontologist by day is quite the achievement without the other things. And that cat pillow is absolutely perfect for that spot. Wonderful!

Orsi said...

Pretty and organized place to work, good motto ( for me as well ) :)))

Thank you your sewing help, I have finished the vest for my son!
http://spulni-blog.blogspot.hu/2012/12/melleny-vest.html