Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Sizing up Sizergh Castle

Last weekend, Mr Q and I decided to relax after a long and busy week at work by heading up to Sizergh Castle in Cumbria. We had briefly visited once before but hadn't had time to look around the garden, so that's where we spent most of our time.

fantastic foliage in the rock garden
the apple orchard
It was a beautiful, crisp autumn day and after running around on the lawn, an exhilarating game of croquet (which Mr Q won) and a one-sided game of quoits (which I won), we made our way to the tea room to warm up with tea and scones. A perfect day out!

Mr Q making shadows on the lawn
Mr Q winning at croquet


3 comments:

Maureen said...

It's so beautiful! - and I am impressed, croquet was too cerebral for me!A bit like chess with a ball, isn't it!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

You have so many neat places to visit over there!

Gosh, I haven't thought about croquet for a long time! Played it all the time in our back yard in the 1950s. I doubt that my nieces (in their 20s) have ever played! I'll have to ask them!

And I didn't know about trilobites until you made your first hat, then I read about them. Amazing! My 5-year-old great-nephew's dinosaur book has them in it and he knew their name! Glad you will have a new hat!

By the way, all your quilts are amazing! You're a busy gal!

Quiltification said...

Yes, we're very lucky to live near to so many interesting places. I think being married to a foreigner (Mr Q is Australian) encourages us to explore more of what is on our doorstep, since he finds it all rather exotic!