Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Brighton Rock

After my week of fieldwork, I was ready for a little R & R, so Mr Q and I packed our bags and headed down to Brighton for a few days. My sister had been working down there and wanted to share it with us whilst she still had the keys to a fabulous flat in a modernist block on the sea front. We had a great time...

We walked along the front and admired the stark beauty of an architectural gem - the burnt out West Pier.



We visited the Palace Pier and played silly games like Air Hockey and Dolphin Derby. And we admired Brighton Pavilion from the outside.


For a little culture, we visited the National Trust property, Standen - an Arts & Crafts treasure designed by Philip Webb and decorated by Morris & Co. I loved it! And I am now inspired to use some William Morris wallpapers in a couple of the rooms in our house. I wonder if I can get Mr Q to agree.

the conservatory at Standen

the gardener's cottage at Standen

And then there were retail opportunities, at Quilty Pleasures...


...at Purl...


...and at Utility and Inhouse Space (where the Aussie owners knew Mr Q's hometown). Finally, there was plenty to eat and drink, including a fabulous seafood Italian restaurant in Hove, a North African restaurant, also in Hove, and lots of stops for tea, coffee and a chat.

latte from Small Batch Coffee Company

waiting for brunch at Ethel's Kitchen

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Hove! I remember Hove - my husband was born there and we went back many years ago, to see if his house was still standing! - it was.

Quiltification said...

Maureen, that's a lovely story. I love visiting childhood places - both my own, and Mr Q's in Queensland.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I really enjoy reading about your travel adventures! I had never seen the Royal Pavilion before. Wow! When I hear "Brighton" I can't help but think of Lydia in Pride and Prejudice wanting desperately to go to Brighton. Thanks to the TV drama in the '90s I became a fan of Jane Austen, and I love reading about her, and just found a great blog about her that showed the interior of the Pavilion. Also learned more
about George IV. Amazing!

You sure have an interesting job!