Thursday, 23 February 2012

Love is in the air

A little late for Valentine's Day, I know, but I did start tatting this heart on February 14th.


It's not a token for my loved one - I don't think he'd know what to do with it. Instead, it will join all my tatted snowflakes as Christmas decorations, either to bedeck the tree or the mantlepiece. The pattern is the Tatted Heart from Handy Hands, and I tatted it in size 20 Aida from Anchor. I was anxious to get started on this and didn't have the patience to fill a whole shuttle. This is what I was left with when the heart was done...


Talk about cutting it fine.

I've also been quilting this week, and have now finished the quilting on a project that I started about 5 years ago.


The quilt pattern comes from a book called French Braid Quilts by Jane Hardy Miller. It's one of those designs that looks more complicated than it really is. In fact, it's easy to put together. You just have to treat the bias edges around the pieced sections with a bit of respect.


I used a whole stack of floral fabrics that had been languishing in my stash, and bought only the pink for the squares and thin borders, plus the Japanese style large-scale floral for the sashing and borders. I started this quilt as a class sample, and thought I would experiment with fabrics outside of my normal range. Perhaps that's why it has taken me so long to complete.


It's quilted with the Bushberries pantograph design by Hermione Agee. I think this one may become a favourite. The scale of the leaves and berries makes it easy to follow the design, and my new EZGlide wheels make those curves a breeze.

Just the binding to go, and then it's on its way to my mum who is going to raffle it to raise funds for Friends of Gawthorpe, a charity which supports the upkeep of the nationally important Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth textile collections at Gawthorpe Hall in Lancashire.

No comments: