Sunday, 29 January 2012

Not one, but two...

...quilt alongs that is. First up - Made in Cherry.

After signing up for the Made in Cherry quilt along last week, I wandered over to the flickr group to see what everyone was up to. I love seeing how different the same quilt can look because of fabric choices. There are people making this quilt with fabrics from a single range, others (like me) digging through their stashes. There are modern looking stars and more traditional looking ones. It's fascinating, and inspiring. Fired up by everyone's progress, I set about arranging my pieces. I started by trying to lay them out on the bed, but Mr George got involved.


So I moved to the living room, where I had to battle with a very distracting carpet (courtesy of the house's previous owners), but no cats.


Since taking this picture, I have transferred the pieces upstairs to my sewing machine and have started piecing them together. I am really happy with how this is looking so far.


pins & bobbins


As for the other quilt along.... Well, just after the new year, my friend Ruth told me that she was taking part in a quilt along hosted by Katy at I'm a Ginger Monkey to make the Swoon quilt designed by Camille Roskelley. I resisted joining in since I already had plenty on my plate, but then I made the mistake of having a sneaky peak in the flickr group. BIG mistake. In a long meeting at work the following day, I found myself drawing Swoon blocks.


Suddenly, I wanted to join 500 (now 700) others in making this quilt. I had a quick look through my stash and found several red and blue large-scale feedsack type prints. Enough for four and a half blocks. A little light shopping at Backstitch and I had rounded out my choices to these...


I'll be making a six block quilt which should end up large enough for a single bed. All the pieces are now cut out, and so far I have completed two 24" square blocks.



I am determined not to start anything else until I can report a few finishes. Internet - stop tempting me. Please.

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

6 comments:

Sunnybec said...

I love your swoon blocks, so far I have resisted the temptation to do them. Where are you in the UK. We use to live in Yorkshire but now live in France. Linda

Taryn said...

The Made in Cherry quilt looks great! The blues and greens look so lovely together!

Janine said...

Love your swoon block. I really like your drawing too:)

Lizziebeth said...

Your Swoon quilt is going to be so pretty. Love your fabrics.

Sue Daurio said...

Made in cherry (blueberry?) looks wonderful! I haven't started on mine yet, but seeing so many beautiful ones like yours makes me what to get at it. Love the quilting design for swoon blocks. I pinned it for inspiration. You blocks looks GREAT!!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I popped over here because I can't reply to your comments, did you know you were a no reply comment blogger? I really love your swoon blocks - I like that retro thirties thing they have going on. I agree about the curlicue crush pattern, I'm definitely thinking curved lines of some sort, kind of lava lampy in some way!