Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Sock it to 'em

Earlier this week I attended a workshop with my mum at Alston Hall, near Preston. The workshop was run by Fiona Morris, and we learnt how to knit a sock from the toe up. For the non-sock-savvy amongst you (and I was among your number until the workshop), knitting socks from the toe up is an INNOVATION. Always a fan of innovation, I really enjoyed learning how to (i) do a Turkish cast on, (ii) knit on two circular needles simultaneously, and (iii) shape wrapped short row heels. As I am a slow knitter, I decided to make a teeny tiny sock so that I could attempt all these new skills under the watchful eye of the tutor. 

sock in progress - on TWO circular needles

the finished sock - too small for human foot
I will definitely try knitting socks again and have been trawling ravelry for an appropriate pattern. Oh, and did I mention that I love this yarn?

On Sunday, Mr Q and I rode our bikes to Cedar Farm. In an attempt to avoid having to cycle around a big motorway junction, we took to the back routes - country roads and muddy bike paths in equal measure. My plan had been to bring you pictures of the English countryside in Autumn - all mists and mellow fruitfulness as the poem has it. Sadly we couldn't really see beyond the mist! After about 12 miles of cycling we reached Cedar Farm, and treated ourselves...

the reward!

Mr Q enjoying his muffin
Anxious that the weather was really drawing in, we didn't spend much time looking around. We nipped into the little deli to buy chorizo for our dinnertime paella, but had to miss the vintage fair that was going on :-( We took a more direct route home, past a local beauty spot where on a clear day you can see all the way to Blackpool. No views today, but at least the ice cream van was still open for business!

a local viewpoint - yes, those are fog lights!

2 comments:

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Your sock looks perfect, and you're mastering new techniques!

I've been fascinated with the self-striping yarns since they came out, and after many years of knitting sweaters, I finally overcame my 'fear' of making socks, because of this new type of yarn!

I enjoyed reading about trilobites (cool hat!), and find your travels and job to be fascinating! Great photos and stories!

Quiltification said...

Thank you, Kathy, for your kind comments. It's interesting that you talk of your fear of making socks. I had never attempted them after my mum told stories of how her mother hadn't the patience to teach her as they were complicated. I figured it must be beyond me. However, the tutor last week was excellent - endlessly patient and very encouraging.