Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Lazy daisy

For a while now I've been thinking of linking up with Work in Progress Wednesdays at Freshly Pieced. But every time that Wednesday rolls around I find that I don't have anything photographed or blogged, or anything in progress that I'm feeling enthusiastic about. This week, however, is different. I spent Saturday with the quilting group that both my mum and I belong to and was able to get some uninterrupted sewing time, without the distractions of Mr Q :-) and the never ending cleaning and DIY of the renovation project we call home. And without the helpful intervention of my two cats.

So how did I spend this valuable time? Well, I designed the daisy petals for this little quilt, and started cutting out the white fabrics. I am so happy with how this is coming together. When it is complete, it will be a gift for a friend who has just had her first baby. Everyone I have shown it to so far, assumes that my friend's new daughter is called Daisy. She isn't. Design inspiration struck when I remembered my friend's wedding stationery - pretty pale green paper with small, scattered daisies. I hope they'll love it as much as I do.



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

11 comments:

Editfolt said...

I really like. Special quilting!

Katie said...

It is gorgeous. Daisies are my favourite flower.

mtnquiltr said...

Those daisies are beautiful, such a striking design.

Pat said...

Just glorious!

Terri said...

I love the daisies, but how are you keeping the petals so white. Whenever I use white I get a shadow of the color underneath.
Hugs,

Becky said...

I love it!! It's a perfect quilt to see as winter rolls in too! Beautiful!

Tina ~ Seaside Stitches said...

I love daisies! Your quilt is wonderful!

Marjorie said...

Fantastic! I've done several daisy quilts just because they are pretty. I like yours better than mine though.

Sel's Quilting Blog said...

Love daisies - love that quilt. So big and bold and happy!

Quiltification said...

Thanks all for your lovely comments. I'm going to be sorry to see this quilt go. I suppose that's an excuse to make another one, right?

Terri - I'm trying to stop the colour showing through by using an interfacing on the white fabrics. The hope is that it will also make the appliqué slightly easier too by stiffening the white fabric a little. I'll let you know if it works!

Anonymous said...

When do you appliqué the flowers on? Are they put on as soon as the top is done but BEFORE you do your quilt sandwich or after it has been long arm quilted?