Thursday, 14 April 2011

Taking care of business

I'm just about to head up to my craft haven and sew some more cushion covers for my etsy shop. I've been a little lax on replenishing stock recently, but over the weekend I spent some time cutting fabric so I'll be able to set up a production line to sew a bunch of covers to list.

My sister has been encouraging me to branch out and add more lines to my shop - things like draught excluders, coffee press cosies, iphone covers and the like. (Lightbulb moment - maybe these are items that she would like me to sew for her?!) I've stuck with cushion covers because they are easy to make and they sell pretty well, but in all honesty they don't really scratch the creative itch. One of the difficulties I face is finding time to experiment, produce prototypes and hone designs. I know I have it in me, but I have a demanding full time job which regularly fills more hours than I would like.

Enough grumbling. Last night I had hoped to meet up with a Wigan knitter, but unfortunately she was unable to make it and so a free evening opened up in front of me. While I caught up with Masterchef on the TV, I sewed this....



OK, so it's another cushion cover. But it is a new design made from in linen and silk dupion in luscious orange and pink. What do you think of the prototype? Is it an idea worth pursuing?

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I really like these! Prototype verdict: successful!

naylem said...

Just found your web site today. I vote yes on the new pillow also.
Sandy

Caroline said...

And it's a yes from me! (said in Simon Cowell style) I think the pillow is lovely.

Kt said...

I've also just come across your blog today and you get a further yes vote from me on the prototype cushion. Right up my street that is!

Quiltification said...

Thanks, folks. That sounds like a resounding yes vote. I gave the prototype to my sister who claimed it made her front room "(almost) sophisticated". High praise indeed. I have stocked up on linen and will get sewing.