Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Embargo

Mr Q thinks that I start far too many projects and finish far too few. He's probably right, although whenever he challenges me, I tell him that it is all about "the process". "I craft to clear my mind and cleanse my soul." "The finished items are just a bonus." And while all of these things are true, he still has a point. It would do my mind and soul good to see a job well done, to enjoy crossing something off the list. Last weekend, Mr Q suggested that now was the time to turn over a new leaf; that in the spirit of spring cleaning I should consider purging all of my unfinished projects. I smiled at him weakly, and suggested a compromise - a look at what is lurking in the box of unfinished objects and an embargo on starting any new projects until a certain proportion of the others could be completed.

And that is where we were until I bought this fabulous Noro Silk Garden yarn from the equally fabulous Fibre and Clay yarn shop in Knutsford, Cheshire.


I managed to resist its charms all afternoon as I "purged" my crafting space. But as evening fell, I admit that I succumbed and started knitting a present for a friend. Since that friend may be watching, I can't show you what it is yet, but believe me when I tell you that the Noro yarn is working its magic.

So, one new project started. Until, that is, Mr Q mentioned that every time he turned the fire off he risked burning himself on the handle of the ash pan cover. A couple of hours later, and the burn threat is no more.

Some might call it a potholder, but I think I've made a cute little 8 inch square quilt that protects fingers from harm! Here it is in pride of place by the fire.


Two projects started. One finished.

But then, as I browsed through flickr early last week I discovered a whole world of crochet that I never knew existed. Wow! Wow! Wow! Inspired by riotous colours and intricate shapes, I spent some of Tuesday evening following this African Flower crochet tutorial to make this.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I have never done much crochet - I remember making a cushion cover out of dishcloth cotton when I was about 11 under the tutelage of my cousin. But until I retaught myself last year I hadn't picked up a crochet hook since. But since seeing the amazing colours and shapes that are being created all around the world, I can see how easy it would be to get hooked(!) As if I need a new hobby.

So, three projects started. Two finished. Quite a successful and productive embargo, don't you think? Time to get back to the knitting.

2 comments:

umintsuru said...

Loved reading your post. Your two finished projects look fantastic, and such a lovely fireplace.

Maureen said...

Well, he can't complain anymore, can he, because he has that beautiful fireplace holder!
I understand your problem, Noro is wonderful to knit with, and crochet is so useful......I deal with the same issue by observing my one inflexible rule: I can buy materials, but do not allow myself to start a new project until the current one is finished!
It's actually a sensible rule to live by, because if you see something you really want, and you don't buy it there and then, it will be sold out when you go back for it. You just need a big empty cupboard - and a huge camphorwood chest - and the almost empty wardrobe you gained when your youngest son moved out.....