Saturday, 15 January 2011

There and back again

Since my last post I've been to Queensland and back. I had planned to post while I was away but I was busy recovering from (suspected) swine flu, visiting family and friends, and generally kicking back. And then there was the drama of all the flooding. Almost everywhere we visited was hit by floods within days of us leaving or, in the case of Mr Q's grandmother's town, while we were there. I was astonished at the speed with which the water rose, engulfed the road, and lapped at the gates of her retirement village. In the end, we were lucky to make it to the airport, and since we've been home I've been feeling guilty that we escaped while so many have lost so much. To that end, I will be donating all profits from my etsy shop to the Queensland Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal this month.

Finally, I'll leave you with a couple of images of the contrast between the UK when we left in December and Queensland on the few glorious days we had - a difference of over 40 degrees C!

Wigan, December 2010

Sunshine Coast, December 2010




 Wigan, December 2010

Texas, Queensland, January 2011




 Inside of the train window, Wigan, December 2010

 Glenlyon Lake, Queensland, January 2011


2 comments:

Maureen said...

I'm glad you at least had a few good days,amidst all the mayhem. It's been a most terrible summer,weather-wise - and then the Floods came.

Quiltification said...

My brother-in-law tried to blame me for bringing the weather from England! I hope you and your loved ones have escaped the worst. Mr Q and I were trapped in Palmwoods for a night, and his parents' house in Coolum became a makeshift hostel for friends and family who couldn't make it home because the Bruce Highway was cut.