Friday, 26 November 2010

Everything is coming up roses

 I've been having a little break from tatting snowflakes and have been tatting roses instead. This first attempt uses Jeanne Lugert's 3D rose pattern in size 16 Ancora Prestige thread. It is constructed from a long chain of split rings which are then gathered up by pulling a thread through the picots. I like the effect although it is perhaps a little bulky in the centre for my taste.

Next up is a rose inspired by Krystle's flower pendants and earrings which I love. This one is tatted in Yarnplayer's snowflake thread in size 20. I think I'll be experimenting with this design a little more. I like how it turned out and it has increased my confidence with making lock joins.

Finally, here's a design from Yarnplayer's Up and Tat 'Em pattern book which I completed in size 20 black Flora thread with Swarovski crystals. I'm planning to put this on a cord and give it as a Christmas present. This was my first foray into using paperclips to keep picots open until needed. I am enjoying learning all these new skills.


4 comments:

Gina said...

I like the comparison of the 3 roses/flowers together. The last two are particularly nice for a pearl or stone for the center. I like the first one especially when you don't plan to have something in the center as it looks filled up, not empty like the other two would look if you con't have something there. Those tiny ribbon roses would probably fit in the center too. Or buttons. But you might like it that way. LOL! I always feel a need to fill in the center but maybe it's just my innate desire to "bling" things up a bit. The last one will look good as a pendant like you've planned.

God's Kid said...

They all look so wonderful and lovely! I love the one in the snowflake colors!!! :)

Quiltification said...

Thank you for your kind comments. I love the snowflake coloured thread too, and was thinking of adding something to the centre, but Mr Q prefers it without extra bling!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you could walk me through the pattern you used for the second rose.....

Thanks!

Tara