Saturday, 11 September 2010

Home and away

Being an Australian, Mr Q thinks that holidays in England are exotic. I'm not convinced but I like to indulge him, so we have just returned from a fabulous (and somewhat exotic) week's holiday in East Sussex, where Mr Q and I indulged our love of all things old (and my love of all things floral). We stayed in a very cute and well equipped little cottage that had previously been a cart shed, and spent our days exploring castles, palaces, towns, beaches and gardens. Here are a few of our highlights...
In order of antiquity we visited the battlefield where the Battle of Hastings was fought in 1066; Bodiam Castle (complete with fish-infested moat and charmingly calligraphic graffiti); Great Dixter Elizabethan house and Christopher Lloyd's justifiably world-famous garden; the Prince Regent's extravagant Royal Pavilion in Brighton; Rudyard Kipling's home; the Kent and East Sussex steam railway; Sissinghurst Castle Garden created in the 1930s; and the fabulously modernist De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill which currently has Anthony Gormley sculptures inhabiting the rooftop terrace. It was ace! I feel relaxed, rejuvenated and revitalised (and full of culture).

For the horticulturally minded amongst you, here are some pictures of Great Dixter and Sissinghurst gardens.
I loved the exuberant planting schemes at Great Dixter, although they were tricky to photograph successfully. Mr Q found the planting a bit too chaotic for his tastes, but I was thrilled by the juxtaposition of colours and shapes. Like jazz, he said. Exactly, I said. My favourite part was the Exotic Garden. Mr Q preferred his cappuccino. Oh, the irony.

The gardens at Sissinghurst were more formally arranged, with huge yew hedges dividing the space into individual "rooms" which contained relaxed but more colour-themed planting schemes. Here are a selection of the oranges, greens and pinks on show.


What a wonderful way to spend a week. My head is full of colour inspiration.

3 comments:

Jane S. said...

What wonderful photos! Thank you for sharing them.

Maureen said...

I can't see any photos! - which is odd, because I have been able to see others in your earlier posts.
I'd love to be able to see them, because my husband was born in Sussex and grew up there - when we visited, years ago, he took me to see Virginia Woolf's cottage in Rodmell where he spent his early years.

Maureen said...

Today I can see the pictures! - gorgeous, thank you for sharing them.