Sunday, 18 July 2010

Up a creek without a paddle

I've spent the last few days visiting fossil localities along the mighty Murray River. I love the landscape here - the river cliffs, the vegetation that looks so alien to a girl from the northern hemisphere. The birdsong sounds so different too - the morning chorus here is a symphony that surprises and delights me - full of whoops and whistles. And the birds themselves are spectacular. I've seen sulphur crested cockatoos, galahs, pelicans and many others that I haven't had a chance to try and identify. I can't get over how different it all is, and then I return home to my rented cottage in the evening and am surprised all over again  - the television is almost exactly the same as in the UK - Dr Who, Silent Witness, Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders. It's a small (and crazy) world!

No comments: