Saturday, 22 May 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

After a bit of a quilting hiatus over the past couple of years, I have recently come back to it. In the time I've been away, blogs have multiplied dramatically and since my return I have really enjoyed looking at the wonderful quilts (and other crafts) that are being shared on blogs around the globe.


For the Blogger's Quilt Festival, I am sharing this quilt that I made about 4 years ago. It is called "Firestorm", but it may equally remind you of leaves against a crisp autumn sky or coral polyps in shallow tropical seas. It is completely pieced, including the L-shaped thin fuchsia borders which proved a bit of a challenge. Quilting was done in a range of metallic and rayon threads, using a variety of free motion patterns and some couched threads in the dark central patches.

And the story behind the quilt? Not long after I'd met Mr Q, he suggested that I make a blue and orange quilt. I fancied trying my hand at curved piecing and so the two ideas collided. I remember sitting with my Dad, picking out the fabrics together and sewing up some test blocks. Between us we decided on the third fabric selection.

1st attempt

2nd attempt

3rd attempt

I decided to enter the quilt in the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham that year, but plans were derailed when my Dad died very suddenly. Finally, I managed to finish the quilt and it just made the deadline for the Festival - with Mr Q and I speeding along the motorway to Manchester to drop it off at a quilt collection depot with minutes to spare. The final picture is of my Mum and I at the Festival of Quilts in 2006 in front of my quilt! It didn't win any prizes but it was exciting to see it hanging there! It now lives on my office wall at work, where my students often comment on it. Some even ask if they can take it home with them.

13 comments:

Chris said...

They are all wonderful, but I think you made the right choice. The third is the charm.

Michelle said...

What a unique and fascinating quilt. I would have had a hard time choosing between the three designs--they are all lovely. Thanks for showing all of them.

Barb said...

Your quilt is dramatic and wonderful. Thanks for showing your process -

Carol said...

Interesting. I like the contrasting movement between the front and the background.

Mary-Kay said...

I think it's great. What wonderful memories you have in the construction of it.

Tatskool said...

GORGEOUS quilt and a lovely story to go with it. Thanks for showing it.

SewCalGal said...

Brilliant quilt. Love the design, fabrics, colors. Wow. Striking!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Rose Hughes said...

the color is spectacular, but I really love how you kept making it better and better... terrific design.

Heather said...

Oh wow, your quilt is gorgeous. The choice of colours is perfect. Love that little pink strip.

erica said...

Wonderful piece of art!

quilthexle said...

Lovely quilt ! Thanks for sharing ;-))

Eileen said...

lovely quilt and fun to see the evolution of it. wonderful colors and fabrics. thanks for sharing

Anne at Film and Thread said...

It was so interesting to see the 3 different options, but I really love what you ended up choosing. Sorry to hear about your Dad.