Wednesday, 3 March 2010

All's well that ends well

Last year, I was asked if I could quilt a vibrant log cabin quilt top for an acquaintance of my mum's. It took me quite a while to complete and I struggled with a few confidence issues along the way, but I am very happy with the way it has turned out. Here is the finished quilt - which I returned to its owner at the weekend.

Lessons learnt:
1) the fear of going wrong is far worse than making a mistake, ripping out the stitches and requilting
2) if no-one gives you deadlines, make them for yourself
3) if you push yourself, you can achieve far more than you ever thought possible.

Even with this philosophical outlook, I don't think I'll be be quilting for others in the near future. Crafting is my escape from the stress of work, so I think I'll keep the pressure off, hone my skills and work through my stack of unfinished projects.

5 comments:

M said...

That's a lovely quilt. I hope the friend liked it as much as I do.

Isdihara said...

Wowee, that's one stunning work of quilted artistry! So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda said...

You did a lovely job on the quilting. Doing craftwork for others to kind of order has its own stresses and rewards. I've ended up working on commission quilts that I didn't really enjoy so these days I am much more selective about commission work.

BTW thanks for add me to your blog roll :-)

Mr Q/B said...

Great work Mrs Q!

Tatskool said...

That's STUPENDOUS!