Monday, 2 November 2009

Green fingers

Phew! That was quite a busy weekend. Saturday saw me exploring a nearby garden centre with a two-pronged mission. First, to find a suitable shrub for my next door neighbour in remembrance of her husband who died earlier this year - I bought her a camellia with pink double blooms. And second, to buy some plants for new window boxes at the back of our house. With the nights drawing in now, I ended up planting these in the dark with just the light through the windows casting an eerie glow over me (it was Halloween!). So when I woke up on Sunday morning and saw them though the window, I was very pleased with how they turned out.

On Sunday, Mr Q and I drove to Chester to an Art Deco collectors' fair. It was my birthday treat. Mr Q had overcome his ambivalence to chrome and geometry and was planning to give me some birthday money to spend on whatever Art Deco delights I wanted. Imagine his delight when all I wanted were some buttons! Not just any buttons, you understand, but fabulous vintage buttons that I plan to use as bag closures. Still, far cheaper than he had been anticipating. All in all, we were a bit disappointed with the fair - there were only about 20 to 25 stalls mainly selling decorative items and ceramics. I am a big fan of late 19th and early 20th century design, but I think I'd have enjoyed a bit more diversity than what was on show.


On the plus side, it gave us a chance to have a look around Chester city centre. I spent a little time and a little cash in Liberty Bell - a cute gift and quilting shop. And Mr Q bought this beautiful necklace for my birthday. I hope it's washable as I may never take it off!
Other than that, we performed our usual medley of chores and "homework", and I managed to get a few more cushion covers sewn for my etsy shop. And finally, I drafted the pattern for the Quiltalong at Don't Look Now that I am taking part in.

1 comment:

Tatskool said...

Hi Charlotte, your necklace is gorgoeus. Chester is such a beautiful city, many happy days spent there as a teenager.