Friday, 23 October 2009

Gothic revival

Yesterday's post brought this little beauty - a German tatting pattern book from 1920 that I managed to snag on ebay. Some of the designs are very pretty, but the thing I love most about this book (even more than the embossed cover design) is that it is printed in gothic script. It's almost like reading a book of spells. I shouldn't be so surprised really, because tatting is a magical thing - turning a length of thread into a thing of beauty with just a little sleight of hand!


I've just managed to find a few minutes to sew in the ends on yet another snowflake so that I can share it with you. This is the Lacy Snowflake from Vida Sunderman's Tatted Snowflakes. It is tatted in the glitzy size 10 Anchor Liana Metallic. That's number 24 in the challenge. Almost there!

6 comments:

Gina said...

I have this book...so many beautiful designs and yes, that beautiful print...but I can't read a word of it! The photos are good enough to get a "close" stitch count though.

Fox said...

Beautiful book - careful, there are a few powerful spells, very ancient, lurking between the pages....

Lovely snowflake!
Fox : )

❦TattingChic said...

What a totally awesome book! I love Emmy Liebert's work! She has made some beautiful designs! It seems that some of the German Tatting designers from that era have the loveliest patterns to offer!

Jane Eborall said...

I've got that book too!!! I find the print too confusing to read too.

mica said...

Lovely snowflake:) Wasn't this one fun to make? Your new book looks quite interesting too.

Quiltification said...

Yes, I really enjoyed tatting that snowflake. I think I'm going to leave trying to decipher one of the gothic tatting patterns until I have a little more spare time (perhaps over Christmas).