Monday, 18 May 2009

Spring is sprung

In celebration of spring (although we've not seen too much in the way of sunny weather here), I've tatted this little bookmark. The pattern is Bina Madden's variation of Mae Taylor's floral bookmark. It's a little short (about 4 and a half inches long) but I plan on making another longer one at some point in the future. Since a recent thread exchange, I've been eying my quilting thread with a view to turning it into tatting. So step 1 in the quilting thread utilization programme was using Sulky Blendables 12 weight quilting thread for this bookmark. It's quite a heavy weight quilting thread and (as you can see in the photo) it comes in beautifully subtle variegated shades. It tatted up pretty nicely (if a little fuzzily), and is somewhere close to a size 60 crochet cotton.

In other news, my parents-in-law will be visiting from Australia this summer. We plan on getting the spare bedroom ship-shape before they arrive so expect some renovation posts over the next few weeks. I've got one eye on a wardrobe on ebay as I type this!

2 comments:

TattingChic said...

The bookmark turned out very pretty! Love the colors you used. What thread did you use? I saw you mentioned some thread in the post, but it sounded like you were using it for some other project, I wasn't sure. :)

Quiltification said...

Hello tattingchic
The thread I used for this bookmark is the one mentioned in my post - Sulky Blendables in 12 weight. The range of colours is extensive and I like how subtly variegated the thread is, with no sudden changes of colour. It's great for quilting too!
Charlotte