Sunday, 25 January 2009

Motif number 3

Here is motif number 3 - the Winter Crystal Snowflake from Samantha Melnychuk's A Veritable Tatted Blizzard. I finished this one yesterday and before starting another motif, I thought I'd learn a new technique.

I learned to tat as a teenager in the 1980s from a pamphlet called "Learn to Tat" that I found at the bottom of my mum's knitting basket. She'd had it since the 50s or 60s but had never got to grips with tatting. I taught myself from that book and have tatted on and off since then, but because I am self taught and have never met another soul who can tat, I had never seen anyone else tat - until yesterday. Yesterday, I decided to learn how to make split rings, and figured that the best place to find instruction would be the web. I came across a couple of great tutorials on YouTube and within 20 minutes I'd tatted my first split ring.

But the most remarkable thing for me was seeing someone else tat - watching their hands flash backwards and forwards and the stitches magically appear under their fingers. I tat nothing like this - I hold my shuttle in a different orientation, my hands certainly don't flash, and in comparison I think I must look awkward and jerky. After a couple of minutes of watching open-mouthed and feeling a bit inadequate, I've decided not to "correct" my technique. My finished tatting looks fine and I enjoy doing it. I also know that I look fairly slow and awkward when I knit - I've never got the hang of wrapping the yarn around the needle in one easy motion. Trying to get it right makes me feel stressed. So, with no-one watching me, I'm going to carry on as I am!

3 comments:

TattingChic said...

This is absolutely beautiful!

Lace-lovin' Librarian - Diane said...

Your snowflake is beautiful! I've tatted all the snowflakes in that book, and enjoyed making every one.

I've also found that I tat differently from others. My fingers don't fly, and probably never will. I'm happy with my own tatting technique, and I'm really not worried about the tatting police coming after me! ; )

Quiltification said...

Thank you!

Diane - I had a look at your blog - those snowflakes look gorgeous in hand dyed thread. I might have to try some of that myself.